Friday, September 8, 2017

Onward to Book 2

Well, the latest book has been out for only a few days now, but judging from emails and comments here and on the FLEE blog, it seems that more than a few of you have already finished it! (I’m not sure whether to be flattered or pressured by the fact that so many months of work went into something that only took a few hours to read, but so it goes with creative projects!)

For those of you already chomping at the bit for the second book in the series, sorry, but you’ll need to wait. While the second installment is well under way (I started it on the same day I finished the final draft of Book 1), it’ll be months yet before I’ll be able to announce a release date. However, I’m going to do my best to shoot for Spring of 2018. That gives me a good 6-8 months to write and edit it together, which feels doable at this point.

The nice thing about writing a book series like this is that I’m working with a good deal of momentum on my side. I know the characters and their individual plights, and I know generally where I want them all to end up, so it’s now just a matter of putting to paper their experiences along the way. In this aspect, Book 2 in the series has been smoother sailing than other projects. There’s no need to think up a new premise, characters, etc.

On the other hand, the second book in this series carries the weight of readers’ expectations, which is an intimidating thing. Still, I got into this project knowing roughly the pressures I’d face writing a trilogy, and I firmly believe in constantly challenging myself, regardless of the nature of the endeavor.

Before I go, I’d like to take a moment here to thank my incredible team of editors, without whom FLEE in its current form would not exist. They offered hundreds of wonderful suggestions and tidbits that I would’ve never thought of myself, and I’m greatly indebted to them for it! Thank you, Jordan, Jodie, and Veronica. You guys are amazing!

13 comments:

  1. I'm almost done. Loving it. If the end comes before you finish we need to meet up so you can tell me what happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, deal! I will do my best to finish the series, though!

      Delete
  2. I finished it.

    It was great... but we have a problem, you won't have time to finish the trilogy before A-day, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. At least we know who to call to start writing a REAL 'all things new' novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not started reading yet..(I am looking forward to savoring this next book) I will read your book with my husband. Beats any show on TV these days.. Since finding these. Books.. Our TV viewing has completely changed.. Thanks for providing something that keeps us looking to the future.. Very near future...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed book 1 and am looking forward to the rest of the trilogy, should this system last that long. Today's text went beautifully with what I have been thinking since finishing Flee. No spoilers on the book, but the text's comments today: "God’s people will flee to the refuge that Jehovah provides." and "it will be an opportunity for all true believers to prove their love for Jehovah and give their support to Christ’s brothers." Flee is a good reminder of our need to be obedient to the elders, the slave, and our great God, Jehovah.
    Oh, and I loved the ant illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Angela. It'll be very interesting to see how events play out in the near future.

      Delete
  6. Bro Jonathan, I'm really enjoying your books to the extent that I took hours meditating on them, It's a product of patience and expertise I really thank u so much for these wonderful books as a 18 yr old teenager with anxieties and critical hard times along with opposition from my non witness family, the book strengthened my faith in jehovah. It's a job welldone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philip, I'm happy to have encouraged you. Keep up the fight, you never know what kind of an effect your faith will have on family.

      Delete
    2. I agree. As the spiritual head of my family, it's great to be reminded of what I'm working so hard for.

      Delete
  7. Are you from the bay area? I love hearing stories so close to home. Beautiful book. Thanks for clean entertainment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I have family there and visit often, and I spent a few years there myself.

      Delete