Wednesday, October 10, 2018

TBoY, a week later, and Amazon Reviews

Hi all!

Well, The Bloom of Youth (TBoY) has been live now on Amazon for about a week, and in that time a few of the early readers have already finished it and written with their input. It seems that so far Will's story has resonated, which is really gratifying for me to hear since this was one of my goals in writing this novel in the first place. It seems that more than a few of you out there have experiences that in one or more ways mirror that of Will (or the other characters in the book).

The truth is, no one gets a free ride, and even if you're born in or around the truth, you still have to make it your own. It's my hope that the book is able to convey this, and I also hope that in time it'll find its way into the hands of those who are currently in a situation similar to Will's, and that in some small way, it can help them survive those dreadful teenage years.

That said, I'm all ears for any feedback you all may have for me (positive or negative). I realize that the book in some ways takes risks that the others have not, for example in [SPOILERS AHEAD] Will's obsession with the rock band Weezer and infatuation with Danielle. I suppose these elements could've been removed and replaced with something less eyebrow-raising, but the story I ended up with was the one I wanted to tell. I've tried my best not to buff out the blemishes or pull too many punches. I can only hope that this comes across to readers!

If you've already finished the book, please consider dropping by its Amazon page and leaving a rating and/or a short review. Comments like these really help to show potential readers what they're getting into (for better or for worse). Also, keep in mind that if you've ready any of my books and really disliked them, Amazon has a generous refund policy, so you can always return the book and get your hard-earned cash back.

9 comments:

  1. I love and devour all your books as soon as I discover they are available. After checking your website intermittently. I'm halfway through Bloom of Youth. Loving it and just wanted to say I love how you throw in great witnessing tips and lines. Like what Bro Harmon says to the grumpy lady. An openended question I am trying to memorize. So glad you love to write with our busy lives cos I love to read.
    Warm regards
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    Thanks so much for your comment! I'm glad you're enjoying Will's story thus far. Everyone needs a Brother Harmon in their life, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my brother, I just finished this book, it was the first of your books I have read and I already have the others for an upcoming trip across the Pacific I really enjoyed it and look forward to giving TBoy to my son. I learned the truth about 22 years ago from a brother who is very much like Brother Harmon, he even has two beautiful daughters who are now serving faithfully. One thing he told me that has always stuck with me was your children can break your heart, it's better to be ready than to be blind-sided. I remember the pain he was in at one point, and could feel Brother Harmon's pain. Will seems like just an awesome kid, I am sure he would be an elder now serving in a country were the work is banned but the field must be so ripe. I hope to someday read about 'his' experiences.

    If I may ask one question... who is Debbie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM,

      Thanks for your comment! It’s great to hear how much you’ve enjoyed the book. I hope your son likes it too. It’s interesting to hear that you had a ‘Brother Harmon’ in your life. I was fortunate to have several throughout the more difficult years of adolescence. I think it’s crucial to have a mentor in that period, and I believe it can make all the difference. As for your predictions about where Will ended up in the present day, I’ve recently thrown around the idea of doing some sort of follow up. Might be interesting to see the kind of elder he later turned into! And as for your question, Debbie is Brother Harmon’s wife.

      Delete
  4. My hubby and just finished The Bloom of Youth. It was fantastic. You are such a creative writer. It made us laugh so much. My husband and I grew up in the truth and we could both relate with much of what Will went through and thought of. It was masterfully written and every bit as good as your other books. We are so thankful that you've taken the time to share your work with us giving us such a wholesome form of entertainment that we can enjoy as a family. Thanks again for all your hard work in sharing these fantastic stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say I am a huge fan. To be able to read well written books that are about good things is amazing and I was thrilled to find Bloom of Youth before a long weekend in Tahoe. I had such a good time reading by the fire and laughing (and tearing up) through the adventure! Thanks for writing these books! I can hardly wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been to Tahoe in years! Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your trip there, and I'm glad my book helped make it a fun time!

      Delete
  6. I for one very much enjoyed it as it was posted each week. I left a few comments on the last two updates over on tboy hub site. I would be eager to read a sequel if you ever got around to it. It's so difficult to find good young adult novels that are a clean reads. Your novel was a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I'm not sure if there would be much to tell in a sequel to Will's story, but perhaps another character might be interesting to follow?

      Delete