Tuesday, April 24, 2018

And now for something completely different...

Writing about the great tribulation and the last days–while undeniably exciting–can be a pretty exhausting task, especially when it's practically all the writing you've done in the last couple of years. I realized this over a year ago, shortly after starting the first book in the FLEE series. I knew that I needed a break. So, for a change of pace, I began a side writing project around that same time. It was something more for myself than any kind of reading audience, but it wasn't long before I found myself falling in love with the story and characters.

You see, the goal of this project was simple–tell an honest story about life from the perspective of your average, adolescent Witness boy. It wasn't set during Armageddon or the great tribulation or paradise, but in our modern day. Instead of some epic, cinematic struggle, the main character would just be a normal kid trying to survive his teenage years: navigating the horrors of high school, attempting to not stand out too much, struggling to not be awkward around girls in the hall, and trying to figure out who he was and what he wanted to do. If Critical Times was a Summer blockbuster and the FLEE books were a thriller miniseries, this book was one of those quirky indie flicks.

Since this novel is so different (and quite strange, frankly), there is of course some risk releasing it within the EK Jonathan family (in fact, I did consider releasing it under a different pen name, but after weighing all the pros and cons I decided against it). In any case, it's almost done, and should be ready for a wide release this summer, and who knows, you might just enjoy it!

Here's a sneak peek at the cover:


Stay tuned!

12 comments:

  1. Seems exciting! I could understand the desire to change pace. Even last year's drama at convention was a more light-hearted (even if the message was very serious).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be an interesting read for sure, EK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love a variety and look forward to reading this. Keep up the good writing. Thank you so much for all the clean entertainment👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. More news as soon as I've got something to update you on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to this! My husband and I have enjoyed sharing and discussing your books with our teenage boys. This sounds just perfect for our family :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely look g forward to this too. You have quite the imagination, and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH how exciting! I thoroughly enjoy your style of writing. An "Indie Flick" is just our household's speed - we will be eagerly anticipating the release.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments! It's giving me the needed shot in the arm to finish this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice surprise! Looking forward to reading it. It makes the wait until the third ‘Flee’ Book not seem so long. :-)

    ReplyDelete