Thursday, October 4, 2018

The third and final installment...

In the past few weeks, I've gotten a fair amount of email asking when the third novel in the FLEE series will be released. Unfortunately, I still can't provide a definite date. Typically, I'll only announce a release date once I'm 75-80% done with the first draft. At that point, I can usually predict how long the rest of the process will take, which includes finishing that first draft, writing a second draft, getting input from editors and proofreaders, and then making changes for the final copy.

Initially, I suspected that I'd give myself a little break after the release of The Bloom of Youth. I find breaks to be a vital part of the writing process; they allow me some mental breathing room and an opportunity to shift gears and brace for a new project. I expected this would be especially important given the shift in tone from The Bloom of Youth back to the FLEE series. (The creative "brain space" used to write these books, I feel, is completely different.)

As it turned out, however, I found myself wanting to dive right back into the FLEE universe as I neared completion on TBoY, and I'm happy to announce that work has been underway on it for the last week or so. While I still can't provide a definite release date, I'm shooting for the summer of '19, which gives me nine months or so. This seems like a comfortable time frame, but given the fact that there is still so much story to be told and will require me tying in the stories of over a dozen characters, I'm expecting this final book to be a lot longer than the first two. (So don't be surprised if I nudge that date back a little.)

One of the great things about writing for the friends is that you all understand these novels aren't the primary focus of my life. While I enjoy immensely crafting these fictional worlds and building characters and every other aspect of writing the novels, there are plenty of other things taking precedence in my life, and I'm very grateful for your understanding in that regard.

In our entertainment-obsessed world, it's common for writers, directors, and musicians to be hounded by their fans for information on their newest project. I believe that kind of pressure is unhealthy, both mentally and creatively. The best creations don't come out of a pressure cooker; they're the result of a patient, thoughtful, and well-seasoned process.

And that's precisely the process that you all have allowed me to employ in writing these books, so thank you.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update EK- don't rush we look forward to receiving the 3rd installment in due course, in the fullness of time etc.

    Whilst I appreciate that they are novels they are mentally stimulating and allow my mind to wander where perhaps it has been reluctant to do so in the past.

    All good fun!!

    All the best and do take time to smell the roses with your brothers and sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks so much for your comment and support. Your suggestion to "smell the roses" with our brothers and sisters is a good one, too, and one of the reasons this last book took so long. I wanted to be sure I was being balanced in spending time both with family and those who needed help at the time in our congregation. That turned out to be the absolute best decision, and I feel those efforts were blessed. But it's always good to get reminders to be balanced!

      Delete
  2. I second your comment David. I too enjoy these books for the Kure entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that comment David. And also enjoy this clean form of entertainment. In the meantime, I'm happy to be moving to your newest novel The Bloom of Youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, thanks! I hope you enjoy it, it's quite a different monster from the other books! ;)

      Delete